Thursday, September 23, 2010

Personal Choices

Joseph Smith said that "one hour of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity of bondage.

The current administration wants to take our liberties away from us. Cass Sunstein has said that the American populous is like Homer Simpson and that when you know who they are you can manipulate them because they don't know what they need and are not smart enough to make decisions so government must make those decisions for us.
I for one resent being told that I am not smart enough to understand politics or able to make basic decisions in life. Our government is trying to take control of every facet of our lives here are just a few examples.
In Boston they are thinking about banning soda in vending machines because sugary drinks are not healthy for you. In San Francisco the Mayor Gavin Newsom banned sodas and other sugary beverages from public buildings. San Fransisco also wants to ban Happy Meals or any other meal that comes with a toy while Santa Clara County approved an ordinance that breaks the link between unhealthy food and prizes.
In Texas a third grader was put into detention for one week. What was her crime? She had the audacity to eat a Jolly Rancher. Not the whole bag, not a handful but one sinful piece of candy and she was given detention for a week.
In New York City it is a crime for any restaurant to add salt to any meal that they prepare and California has banned all transfats. San Francisco wants to forbid pets because people do not understand the responsibilities that go with owning a pet.
There was a man in Georgia who was ticketed for growing too much food in his backyard garden and giving the excess away to those in need. I mean really.
I believe that people should be allowed to eat what they wish and have pets if they wish and by all means children should be able to eat a piece of candy. The government has too much power with their healthcare plan if they feel that they can tell us what to eat and drink now.
Personally I do not eat out in restaurants very often perhaps once every 4-6 months, I eat healthy with fruits and vegetables, grains and not much sugar and drink soda only occasionally . I exercise and I do not put much salt in any on my food yet I am considered obese. Since going into menopause at 32 the weight has piled on even though I eat 1200-1400 calories a day and exercise. Nothing that I do will budge the weight so what is the government going to do with me. Am I going to be denied healthcare because I cannot lose the weight. Are they judging me without the facts?
Even if I was out gorging myself everyday the government should not be involved in my life. If I want to eat myself into oblivion who are they to intervene? I feel that other Americans should not have to pay for my medical bills if I choose to live an unhealthy lifestyle but neither should they be punished by being to forced to eat what they do not chose to eat.
Wake up America if they can control what we eat what else will they want to take control of?

1 comment: